Murder House

As I usher in one final miscellaneous crate, 

I hear the creak of a wardrobe door,

pointedly stop talking about real estate

and investigate the second floor.

 

Dramatically and after great pause

I pull back the clothes with steely nerve

and find, expectedly, hardboard,

because hardboard is what I deserve.


I misunderstand footsteps in the snowbank,

let loved ones whisper about an intervention,

ignore whatever floats in my septic tank

to pull wires from my car engine,


waiting for the dog on the doorstep, garotted,

for the obsession with the woodpile

to finally to take hold, for a 'get knotted'

from a  disembodied voice, for a smile


from a wry geriatric, who tells me I have always

lived here, battling the symptoms engendered

by asbestos exposure and general malaise,

and ordering from my imaginary bartender.